By, Jeremy Sawyer – SADA Engineer
- Support iSCSI 100/1000 Fiber Channel, and cluster with Novell and Windows – flexible
- Uses SATA II – cost effective
- Comparable to other well know SAN technology
- Good overall value
- Dual Controller available
- Up to 6TB with Raid5
- Good basic support services
Overall the product looks good for backup to disk (Single Controller) or for DATA, Exchange, SQL (Dual Controller).
EMC eRoomTM SMB
- 5 -250 users
- $995 for 10 users
- SQL Anywhere back-end
- Support most browsers
- Support most operation systems
- 4 templates
- Integrates with Outlook Calendar
- No integration with AD
- No integration wit LDAP
- Customization limited to modifying set of templates
It’s a good alternative to SharePoint, if they don’t have SBS 2003 already or already have Windows 2000 or 2003 standard and are looking for something like SharePoint. Could also be use in conjunction with ZEROi. I would say more like 5-50 users though, given that it doesn’t integrate with AD. Note that the standard addition does.
EMC RepliStor SMB
- DFS replacement for Windows 2000
- Byte- level changes similar to Windows 2003 R2 DFS
- Work over WAN
- 128 bit encryption
- Throttling and compression
- Works with Exchange, SQL Server, file servers, PCs
- Works with XP Pro, 2000 and 2003 Windows Server
- Can replicate to non-windows NAS, VPN over Wan. Very Cool
- Integration AD, cluster aware
It’s a great alternative to Windows DFS. Has many more advantages, and can be setup in many different ways. I like this product a lot!
EMC Retrospect SMB 7.5
- Less then 250 employees
- One license for all open file options.
- Cost considerable less and is comparable to VERITAS
- 4 different Data Encryption methods
- Offline verifies speed up backups
- Easy to learn and use
- Deployment Tools
- User restore capability
It appears to be good solid backup solution with many advance futures for the SMB market. However, it should be tested before actually deploying it in a production environment.
EMC VisualSRM SMB
- Nice reporting features
- Automate storage management
- Free space for critical servers
- Set time limits on unused files
- Move and Deletes automatically
- Doesn’t work with SBS 2003 server only 2003 Standard and Enterprise?
- Alternative to Symantec Storage Exec
- Has many more features then SSE
- Up to 6TB
- Works on Servers, desktop, and workstations.
- Risk of depletion/failure avoided.
I like this product simple because it allows you to manage storage automatically with customizable parameters. I don’t see the need for it in all SMBs. However, for companies that have storage problems, or needs a simple and easy way to manage the data, it would be ideal.