SADA is a Gold Certified Microsoft partner, and we’ve used SharePoint internally for years. We even have our Google Search Appliance tied into it, so we can search SharePoint with the great Google engine!
But this begs the question – would SADA deploy SharePoint if we actually did not have the internal know-how, and did not own Not-For-Resale licensing? Maybe – I guess the question is what are you going to use it for?
As we’re learning about EMC’s product suite, we are learning what else is out there. eRoom is certainly one of the interesting offerings they have.
Here are some comparisons, according to EMC:
eRoom has a competitive advantage over Microsoft SharePoint in that:
a. eRoom SMB costs less
b. eRoom SMB includes dashboard, search capability, and project and document management functionality
c. eRoom SMB includes the ability to add external members
d. eRoom SMB is easy to install and use
e. All of the above
EMC claims that to get SharePoint to do what eRoom SMB Edition does, it will cost nearly 10x more – and that’s just in Licensing costs alone! Wow.
Some other key eRoom advantages, which we have to agree are of more and more importance:
- Out of the box support for 20+ languages. Now, who can claim that the world is not becoming more globalized? This will certainly be a big one for some international organizations.
- Much Better Search – Search within SharePoint is dismal. We have to plug in a $30,000 Google Search Appliance just to be able to find the 1000’s of documents, files, blurbs, wealth of info we have in our SharePoint.
- Platform Independence! – eRoom requires a Windows-based Server – but the client? Run it on ANYTHING – Mac, PC, Linux – it doesn’t care! SharePoint – of course, requires Windows, AND Internet Explorer.
Key Advantages of SharePoint vs. eRoom
- Native Integration with everything else Microsoft – That’s Office, Exchange, Messenger – you name it. And this will be even cooler with Vista and the upcoming 2007 Office Suite (whenever they release it).
- SQL 2000/2005 Support – We’re not yet sold on the SQL Anywhere database that’s bundled with eRoom at this point.
We are now in the midst of really testing and training on all EMC products, including eRoom. Will SADA migrate itself from SharePoint to eRoom? Stay tuned to find out!